Tuesday, June 16, 2015

The Furious 11

Minneapolis Animal Control sent out an urgent message to rescue groups - they were close to full and would have to start euthanizing those in the feral ward and the sick ward. Since it's kitten season, most rescues are full with kittens. Animal controls are having to put down even kittens due to overcrowding.

I went to animal control and tagged as many kittens as were there, paying attention to the sick ones and feral ones. Often times, those who are deemed feral really aren't. They're scared and affected by people in uniform. They often suffer from kennel shock.

Little Old Lady - Lucy
Little Old Lady - Winifred
Little Old Lady - Ragna 
The first three I pulled were in the sick ward and had been there for 10 days. They were next on the euth list. Three sisters about 2 months old; two dilute torties and one black. I had three old ladies in my life who are no longer here. I named this bunch after those wonderful ladies - my grandmother Lucy, my other grandmother Winifred (Winnie, for short), and Ragna, my elderly neighbor that I took care of for years. She was the happiest and nicest person I've ever met. Never said an unkind word. Always positive about everything. Interestingly enough, the kitten Ragna would be well named as she is the happiest kitten, always purring and clamoring to be on my lap.

Outlaw - Clyde Barrow
Outlaw - Belle Starr
Outlaw - Annie Oakley
The next four were in feral. Three of them were on bite hold (which means they did bite someone), and one of those three did not look like she was going to get out of animal control because they thought she was too dangerous. They called her vicious. She's six weeks old and not even two pounds... but she's dangerous. Those three on bite hold were siblings; the fourth in feral was a lonely only, by himself. I named this group after outlaws (although my husband was quick to point out that one wasn't an outlaw, just a gunslinger). Billy the Kid is an orphan who is about 9-10 weeks old.
Billy the Kid - Crusty face
Outlaw - Billy the Kid
When I pulled him from animal control, he had the worst crusted over eyes/face I've seen in awhile. He was miserably sick and lethargic. I had to give him sub-Q fluids when he arrived and started him on antibiotics. The other three sibling ferals are Belle Starr, Clyde Barrow, and Annie Oakley. I took one look at Annie Oakley and knew something was wrong with her front leg. An X-Ray showed that the leg was broken and had been for quite some time as it was healing on its own now. She spent 11 days in animal control without anyone - even the vet - noticing that her leg was broken. No wonder she bit someone.

The final group is a litter of four who are 2 months old. They were neither sick nor feral. I figured if I had 7 already, I might as well have 11 total. What's four more, right? These guys are hysterical. They're friendly and cuddly to me but growl and hiss at everyone - including their own siblings. I have decided that this is just who they are. They're not mad. They're not scared. They just like to growl and hiss. I've named them after fictional wild cats. They are indeed the Wildcat bunch. Richard Parker (from the book Life of Pi) is the only boy of that litter. He is a tiger! He races around like a mad man and then jumps on my lap to cuddle... and then begins biting my legs HARD just because he's all wound up. Duma (a cheetah from the movie Duma) his sister sounds just like a cheetah. Holy cow! She growls and yowls all the time. Master Tigress (from Kung Fu Panda) is a tough little girl but it also very sweet. And finally, Shira (a saber tooth tiger from Ice Age) is, again, tough and sweet together.
Wildcat - Richard Parker
Wildcat - Shira
Wildcat - Duma

Wildcat - Master Tigress
So, we have three groups (from four litters) in one room - the Little Old Ladies, the Outlaws, and the Wildcats. All of them were at animal control for almost two weeks. They've done nothing but run since I brought them home. They were cooped up too long! For the most part, they're getting along. Billy the Kid is having a hard time mixing. He's the oldest - and by himself - and he has a lingering little cold. He's not feeling the greatest and I'm not quite certain he understands how to play and make friends yet. He's a bit awkward and I'm really having a hard time not giggling as I watch him approach the other kittens. The Little Old Ladies and the Outlaws seem to have found playmates within the other group. Richard Parker seems to have charmed the Little Old Ladies. The three female Wildcats need to settle down a bit before they bond. They've only known each other for a day so I suspect in a week they'll all be friends.

Annie Oakley enjoying cuddling
Unfortunately Annie Oakley, the kitten with the healing broken leg, is in confinement. She's not allowed to run on that leg. She's in another room, in a large kennel, bored to tears. She also has a horrible cold so I can't even put a sibling in with her to keep her company. She's sneezing, coughing, runny eyes, and snoring like a lumberjack (I actually thought it was one of my big cats making all that ruckus because it was so loud but it turns out, it was she). She's just plain miserable. She can't run. She's back in jail. And she has a nasty, nasty cold. She's so grateful for the few minutes a day she's allowed out of her kennel. She's an absolute sweetheart and purrs up a storm (amplified by her stuffed up nose). She'll see the vet again in a few days but it could be as much as three weeks before she's allowed to mix with the others. I am a little fearful how that re-introduction will go after she's been gone so long.
Ike

As a side note, in addition to these 11 kittens, I pulled one more - an older male black kitten. He is absolutely gorgeous and the sweetest thing in the world. He's so confident and loving. Nothing scares him, nothing fazes him. He loves to hug - he will actually stand up on his hind legs to hug you. He's so happy to be out. He was slated to be euthanized the day after I picked him up. And he knows it. And he's grateful. I look at him and think what a shame it would have been if he had been put down. He was brought in to be a playmate for another foster I have (upstairs). She's in desperate need of someone to play with. She doesn't quite like him yet and that's okay. All the other cats in the house adore him. He's Ike. My other foster is named Mica and we call her Mike for short. That makes this pair... Mike and Ike. Yup. I did it.

No comments:

Post a Comment