Thursday, April 2, 2015

Progress!!

Although I just posted yesterday, I'm so excited by yesterday's progress that I just have to share.

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, as soon as I open the door, Pippa hides behind the dresser. After a few minutes, she'll come out and sit under the couch. Yesterday, as I was sitting on the floor, she crawled out from under the couch and walked to the food bowl to eat. That bowl was about 4-5 feet away from me! She definitely kept watching me but didn't seem too scared or threatened by me. Eventually, she finished eating and retreated back to her position under the couch.

A little later in the evening, I returned. None of the kittens ran away as I walked into the room. Piper and Pickle were sleeping on the top level of the cat tower. Pickle enjoyed a belly rubbing. Piper was a little apprehensive at first but seemed to rather enjoy being petted. I stood there for quite awhile petting the two of them. Pippa then came out from under the couch and walked over to the food bowl. When she was finished, she walked over to the treadmill and laid ON it (not under!). I started to move about. Pippa casually jumped off the treadmill and sauntered to her favorite spot under the couch. Again, she didn't seem scared or threatened by me. She's just being very cautious.

I was able to entice Peter to play with me last night. The kittens like dangly toys. After quite awhile playing, I pulled the toy over my legs. He started towards it but then realized what I was trying to do. Several attempts later, I actually managed to get Peter to jump onto my legs for several minutes. He was willingly touching the scary lady!

This morning, as I entered the room, Pippa thought about ducking behind the dresser but then decided not to. She actually stayed out for the first time ever! She also walked around a bit before heading to the spot under the couch. And again, none of the kittens scattered as I approached them. I actually got to pet and pick up Norman! Piper and Pickle let me pet them again. Peter was the only one who avoided weigh-in as he kept wandering around his momma under the couch (and I'm not about to grab him when he's next to his mother).

Pickle is still the heaviest kitten. Pirate, one of the interlopers, is heavier than some of the older kittens by several ounces. Holy cow!

Pierce is starting to know me as the woman who plays with him. I played with him for several minutes before turning my attention to another kitten. He then walked back to the toy, took a step towards me, circled the toy, and then looked up at me and then back at the toy. Aw! He was trying to ask me to play with him again!

I am so happy by the progress everyone is making. One of these days, Pippa and I are going to be friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment